Home Insurance

Home Insurance covers both you and your household – that is, your contents and liability damages. This insurance covers all persons who are registered in the population register at your address. Children under the age of 21 who live outside the home are also covered if they do not live in a stable relationship or have children living at home.

Home insurance covers all present assets in the home, which is natural to take with you when you move to a new home. Equipment that is permanently installed in the building is covered by the building insurance, for example kitchen and bathroom fittings, parquet, and the like.

In a simple way, these insurances should cover the damage that happens to things in the home and to the home itself. It is a common condition that the damage is due to a sudden and unforeseen external event.

The insurance will normally also apply to others in the household, other than the person who has taken out the insurance.

Home insurance does not normally apply to the entire housing association, so if you live in a housing association, it is usually a condition that the residents must each have their own home and contents insurance.

It is important to be informed about the company’s safety regulations which normally include that the property must have smoke alarms, fire extinguishers and that the home must be heated to avoid frost damage.

Furthermore, doors and windows must be closed and securely secured. It is also important that plumbing and electrical installations are carried out by a professional. If this is not in order, you will be able to have the compensation reduced if the security breach has had a bearing on the damage occurring.

If you have acquired a lot of new movables, you should inform about this and have the coverage amount extended.

In household cases, it is important that you have as much as possible documented with receipts and photo evidence of their items. You will avoid a lot of work, if you have also made lists of objects in advance.

However, there is free evidence, and if you are not believed, you can document the items through friends, acquaintances, boxes and other evidence that can say something about the items that were damaged.

Most insurance disputes in connection with home and contents insurance will concern documentation of objects, and the valuation of the financial loss.

In its terms, the insurance company has provisions on age and use deductions, and that the replacement value as a used item is the starting point. Nevertheless, in the event of major damages, it can be a lot to negotiate with the companies, and not accept the first offers. Objects and rooms may have been in better condition and had a longer lifespan than the company has assumed.

Furthermore, unique items can be difficult to assess, and it may often be a good idea to bring in an external appraiser who is a specialist, if the appraisal from the company is low.

Home insurance normally has a legal aid section that covers most civil disputes you have in your capacity as a private individual.